The Final Research Product

Hello World!

It’s winter break at UC Davis, which means plenty of time for me to catch up on my research. Without classes in the way I was able to finish my work for Professor Lowe-Power, and do some cool stuff for the Big Idea Project!

Gem5 Research

After ten weeks of work, I have finally finished my project for Professor Lowe-Power and the UC Davis Gem5 team! I have a webpage up and running on his server that takes in a file with the results of all the Gem5 tests, and displays the results of the latest ones. Unfortunately, I can’t link it to you because it’s not a public webpage. The first iteration looked like this:

Prototype Site

I showed it to Professor Lowe-Power, who said it was difficult for him to get data from the hovertext, since it wasn’t copyable. The hovertext displays data about the test, such as the runtime and the reason for failure if it failed. Also, it was a bit of a problem that the text went away the moment you stop hovering over it! So I made some edits, and now it looks like this:

Final Site

Rather than text appearing of you hover over one of the boxes, the text appears in the purple panel on the side if you click on one! This is now uploaded onto the gem5art repository, and will be downloaded whenever somebody wants to use gem5art!

Anyways, I’m very excited. I’ve done a lot of work for professors in the past, but this is the first time I’ve produced a tangible result! This is unfortunately the last of my work for Professor Lowe-Power. This next quarter I’m going to be working for Professor Schofields on robotics! That should be neat, but I’ll miss architecture.

The Big Idea Project 2020

NASA has a really neat project going where US universities compete to get their NASA proposal funded. 5 to 10 teams will get funding and they will work to accomplish their proposal. Ours is to send a lander to one of the permanently shaded locations on the moon, to see what’s there!

I actually ended up quitting the team, because I have a ton of work next quarter. But while there, I got started on developing a Kalman Filter! A Kalman Filter is a program that takes in data about the attitude (positioning) of the satellite and removed the extraneous noise that ends up in the data. Unfortunately I won’t be staying in this neat project, but it was fun while it lasted!

Hyperloop

Unfortunately, the Hyperloop competition may not take place next summer. Elon Musk and the Boring Company have yet to send out the rules to the contest. Last year they sent them out in the fall, but this year, despite many emails from most of the teams and an open letter on Twitter, there has been no response whatsoever. My next step is going to be to try and get all the members of all the Hyperloop teams who have Elon Musk as their desktop to change it to something else. I know this sounds silly, but we’re dealing with a company that is literally called the Boring Company, run by somebody who made their car model types spell S3XY.

The Technical University of Munich has dropped out of the contests, and many of the other teams are considering doing so as well. The Davis team has decided that we will wait until one week after winter break before abandoning this summer’s contest. Once we abandon this summer, we will prepare for next summer! This will give us more time for research and development.

Other things

Since I had some time off, I went back to my family in Marin and hung out a bit there! I went on a hike in Tennessee Valley, which was nice. The weather was perfect and I got to see some waterfalls! Unfortunately, while attempting to take a picture of the fall, I almost fell off the very damp and badly maintained trail. So here are some non-waterfall pictures.

River
Hill View

It was a ton of fun, but I’m glad to be back in Davis. Now that I’m back I decided to do something that I’ve been thinking about for a while. I climbed a tree in the field near Memorial Union and played the Kill Bill theme song until a squirrel got mad and threw bark on my head! Here are some pictures of that.

In Tree
In Tree

That squirrel was very angry, so I left fairly quickly.
May you be ever victorious in your endeavors!
M.E.W

Professor Robinson
Channukah in College 🙂