Silicon Valley is a bizarre place. Computer programming is a bizarre field. I’m a pretty bizarre
person, so it all works out perfectly!
I’ve been told that my escapades into the tech world are zany enough that people might be
interested in hearing about them. I’ve had some people call my adventures “Feynmanesque”, and
though I am quite hesitant to compare myself to the great and incomparable Richard Feynman, fans
of his escapades might perhaps enjoy hearing about mine. My posts will also contain information
that might useful for those also attempting to enter the wonderful world of programming and
technology. So I have turned to the internet and will now be adding my adventures to the
inexhaustible fount of entertainment for individuals across the globe!
Things I will be writing about:
- Code! I may get a bit technical, but not so much that a non-coder won’t be able to follow.
- The tech world. Tech culture is weird and wonderful.
- UC Davis! Quite possibly the best school on the planet for entering the realm of Silicon
Valley as an undergraduate. I am incredibly fortunate to be a member of the class of 2022
- My cybersecurity internship. I’m conducting some research in cybersecurity for the esteemed
Professor Matthew Bishop, and often sit in
befuddlement during attend his
meetings about research into voting machine safety. I’ve learned quite a bit about how
voting machines work, and it is terrifying.
- The UC Davis hyperloop team. We’ve made it to the top 20 international teams and will be
participating in the annual contest at SpaceX! I code for them.
- My summer internship at Lawrence Livermore Laboratory. It doesn’t start for five weeks, but
when I start it I will be working on programming this giant freaking laser for the National
Ignition Facility! I feel kind of like Dr Evil from Austin Powers. Of course, Dr Evil
probably wasn’t put in charge of refactoring an ancient Java code base from the bronze age.
Grrr… intern jobs…
- Dungeons and Dragons. I’m in a weekly campaign where I play a Triton Paladin named Carxes
Caryinax. It’s fifth edition, but in a world my DM created. It’s still called Toril, and the
realmspace and planescape are the same, but the continents are different. It’s cool and has
- Martial Arts. I am a brown belt in MMA, and have been training for nine years. I’ve taken a
break from the dojo because of college, but I still train on my own. It’s not at all the
same, but martial arts has defined so much of my life that I’m almost certainly going to
talk about it at some point.
- My coding side projects! Who knows, maybe I’ll make a ton of money publishing an app
said every programmer ever in the history of code!
Things I won’t be writing about:
- Philosophies on life. I’m 18 years old, so hopefully any revelations I’ve had, you have had
already or will be having soon.
- Politics. Like I said before, I’m 18, so if the world is in desperate need of any of my
political opinions, we’re in a LOT of trouble. Some of my political opinions may come up in
passing, but I will try to keep that to a minimum.
- My social life. You hopefully have enough going on in your life that you don’t need to hear
about social issues happening to some random person on the internet. If that isn’t the case
for you, there are many other blogs you can go to in order to scratch that itch.
Thanks for reading! I’ll (probably) be posting weekly on Sundays, but who knows what the future