F1RST P0ST!

Hello World!

Silicon Valley is a bizarre place. Computer programming is a bizarre field. I’m a pretty bizarre person, so it all works out perfectly!

I’ve been told that my escapades into the tech world are zany enough that people might be interested in hearing about them. I’ve had some people call my adventures “Feynmanesque”, and though I am quite hesitant to compare myself to the great and incomparable Richard Feynman, fans of his escapades might perhaps enjoy hearing about mine. My posts will also contain information that might useful for those also attempting to enter the wonderful world of programming and technology. So I have turned to the internet and will now be adding my adventures to the inexhaustible fount of entertainment for individuals across the globe!

Things I will be writing about:

• Code! I may get a bit technical, but not so much that a non-coder won’t be able to follow.
  • The tech world. Tech culture is weird and wonderful.
  • UC Davis! Quite possibly the best school on the planet for entering the realm of Silicon Valley as an undergraduate. I am incredibly fortunate to be a member of the class of 2022 here.
  • My cybersecurity internship. I’m conducting some research in cybersecurity for the esteemed Professor Matthew Bishop, and often sit in befuddlement during attend his meetings about research into voting machine safety. I’ve learned quite a bit about how voting machines work, and it is terrifying.
  • The UC Davis hyperloop team. We’ve made it to the top 20 international teams and will be participating in the annual contest at SpaceX! I code for them.
  • My summer internship at Lawrence Livermore Laboratory. It doesn’t start for five weeks, but when I start it I will be working on programming this giant freaking laser for the National Ignition Facility! I feel kind of like Dr Evil from Austin Powers. Of course, Dr Evil probably wasn’t put in charge of refactoring an ancient Java code base from the bronze age. Grrr… intern jobs…
  • Dungeons and Dragons. I’m in a weekly campaign where I play a Triton Paladin named Carxes Caryinax. It’s fifth edition, but in a world my DM created. It’s still called Toril, and the realmspace and planescape are the same, but the continents are different. It’s cool and has Marvel references!
  • Martial Arts. I am a brown belt in MMA, and have been training for nine years. I’ve taken a break from the dojo because of college, but I still train on my own. It’s not at all the same, but martial arts has defined so much of my life that I’m almost certainly going to talk about it at some point.
  • My coding side projects! Who knows, maybe I’ll make a ton of money publishing an app said every programmer ever in the history of code!

Things I won’t be writing about:

• Philosophies on life. I’m 18 years old, so hopefully any revelations I’ve had, you have had already or will be having soon.
  • Politics. Like I said before, I’m 18, so if the world is in desperate need of any of my political opinions, we’re in a LOT of trouble. Some of my political opinions may come up in passing, but I will try to keep that to a minimum.
  • My social life. You hopefully have enough going on in your life that you don’t need to hear about social issues happening to some random person on the internet. If that isn’t the case for you, there are many other blogs you can go to in order to scratch that itch.

Thanks for reading! I’ll (probably) be posting weekly on Sundays, but who knows what the future will bring!

M.E.W.